A good tasting coffee makes all the difference.
When coffee tastes bad, change one or more of these factors. It may take several attempts to get it right.
- Change to a new coffee matching your preferred flavour in the flavour wheel 1
- Grind size
- higher for light roasts; lower for dark roasts
- even a +/- 5f adjustment can make a difference
- Coffee to water ratio
How I typically make coffee:
Inverted Aeropress recipe
- Invert the Aeropress
- Add 10g 4 of coffee
- Water temp at 175f-190f (depends on beans)
- Pour about 40g, and stir for ~25 seconds
- Pour rest, total 100g.
- Brew until 1m 25s
- Press for ~30seconds
- Add ~35g of hot water to brewed coffee.
Kalita Wave 155 recipe
- 10g of coffee
- 185-194f water temp (depends on beans)
- 35g pour, wait 35 secs.
- Pour rest, total 135g. Wait till water comes through.
Ongoing review of beans from iDrinkCoffee, my preferred supplier of beans due to consistent freshness.
<water-temp>f; <comandante-grind>c; <coffee-weight>g:<water-weight>g = <total-coffee>g
|Monsoon Malabar||Smokey||👍||180f; 17c; 10g:100g = 125g (35c+185f in Kalita)|
|Brazil Santos||Chocolate||👍||190f; 15c; 10g:100g = 125g (32c in Kalita)|
|Sweet Blue, Daterra Farms||Chocolate||👍||190f; 14c; 10g:100g + 35g (12c in Mokapot)|
|Mexican Altura||Chocolate + Smokey||🤷 (Not consistent)||Finer than Sweet Blue|
|Espress Yellow, Daterra Farms (thawed)||Okay||🤷 (Not consistent)|
|Sumatra Orangutan||Dark + Smokey|
Learnings / experimentation
- More coffee doesn’t impact sleep when fasting during the day (ie. OMAD close to bed time)
Eating (creamy) butter in between cups helps ‘reset’ taste receptor.
- Though eating a meal is ideal.
- Roast coffee myself
Comandante grind chart: